[LMB] Ivan and Betan therapy

beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com
Sat Jul 5 15:44:59 BST 2014

"Katherine Collett" <kcollett at hamilton.edu> wrote:
> Why, on Beta, would there be any need to tie academic courses to a harvest
> cycle?  Or even to a solar year?  It could be arranged so that you do your
> academic work until you need a break to see family, then take a break for
> however long it takes to get home, spend a few months there, and get back.
>  Rather than needing to accommodate harvests, the Betan universities need
> to accommodate trips to far-flung planets.  The highly-sought-after Betan
> courses might well run on a continuous loop--drop in and out as fits the
> student's schedule.

Why, in modern America, is there any need to tie academic courses to a
harvest cycle?  Considering the small number of children and youth (even
in a farming community such as I now live in) who have any major role in
agriculture.  But it's tradition even in places with *no* harvest cycle at
all.

Your idea has merit for the major type of courses that could be done
pretty much continuously because so many people need to take them--101
level courses and the like, maybe even 201 level courses.  Coursera,
anyone?  But I doubt it would work for more specialized courses, or
courses with a hands-on component.

Beatrice Otter