[LMB] OT: Old SF short story...

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 29 15:46:53 BST 2014

On 7/28/2014 5:05 AM, Marc Wilson wrote:
> > I remember the villain managing to grow an "arm" and stab at the other
> > brains with a shard of rock.

> Ditto here too - but I think it contained the deathless image of the
> protagonist trying to get the blob to put eyes on long stalks so he
> could look around - "everyone who is anyone has eyes on stalks!" (That
> phrase is so vivid in memory that I tried it on Google; no luck, alas.)

We've found it now, and probably all reread it. But it's interesting - most
of us have been reading sf for decades. How many stories have we read?
And yet that story stuck in the minds of so many just in this small sample.

What is it that makes some stories resonate so strongly? I've probably
forgotten 90% of the stories I read, or have only the haziest of memories.
But that one - it stayed. And yet I can't see what made it so vivid.

Gwynne