[LMB] OT: Old SF short story...

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 17:58:21 BST 2014

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 00:46:53 +1000, Gwynne Powell
<gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> From: Hilary Powers hilary at powersedit.com

>On 7/28/2014 5:05 AM, Marc Wilson wrote:
>> > I remember the villain managing to grow an "arm" and stab at the other
>> > brains with a shard of rock.
>
>> Ditto here too - but I think it contained the deathless image of the
>> protagonist trying to get the blob to put eyes on long stalks so he
>> could look around - "everyone who is anyone has eyes on stalks!" (That
>> phrase is so vivid in memory that I tried it on Google; no luck, alas.)
>
>We've found it now, and probably all reread it. But it's interesting - most
>of us have been reading sf for decades. How many stories have we read?
>And yet that story stuck in the minds of so many just in this small sample.
>
>What is it that makes some stories resonate so strongly? I've probably
>forgotten 90% of the stories I read, or have only the haziest of memories.
>But that one - it stayed. And yet I can't see what made it so vivid.

Like a lot of re-reads, it's a little less striking than I remember. But
I was a teenager when I first read it.

The ones that *really* stick in my mind, I tend to remember titles too.

The creme de la creme, I remember who wrote them. :)
--

Marc

The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer.  - John Madden