[LMB] Now on topic - Kyril Island = Antarctica OT: solstice Re: LIST BIZ: What's going on

BlueRose stacey at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jun 24 00:33:12 BST 2014

On Tue, 24/6/14, Sue Nicholson <maireg83 at gmail.com> wrote:
*snip crazy midwinter life threatening events on the ice*

 > I have a book called Antarctic Psychology,
 which provided much
 > entertainment for
 us before Howard went down to the ice.  I suspect it
 > makes a big difference that the NZ people
 all apply, so they want to be
 > there,
 whereas  a lot of the McMurdo station (USA)  are Naval so
 are down
 > there for other reasons.

S- LOL a lot of people think Kiwis are a bit nuts anyway, after all we invented bungy jumping as a commercial sport :)

Sue I strongly recommend you watch the Year on Ice Movie - http://www.frozensouth.com/  for details and trailer.

I was lucky enough to go to the first showing where the filmmaker and his wife were there and took questions afterwards, which was lovely

What really interested me about this was the pyschology of the people who chose to stay for the winter in such remote isolation in the wildest of weather - ala Kyril Station permenent employees.

The delight when the first summer ship arrives and one woman runs thru the hallway with hands full of fresh fruit has to be seen to be believed, and the interviews during the winter of the things they miss the most (fresh fruit and milk) give an unusual look into what our psyche could be should we be so isolated and deprived.

When Miles turned up to replace the weatherman at Kyril, I remember him musing about whether or not he headed for the equator and a nice sandy island in warm seas.  Personally I think he headed for the nearest supermarket or restaurant and gorged himself silly, and then headed for warmer climes.

The thing that I would miss the most is pets, there are no companion animals allowed and they got rid of dogs and horses and you arent allowed to keep penguins or seals as pets.

Maybe someone at Kyril had a pet rat or hamster tucked away, who knows

Stacey