[LMB] Barrayar creeps in

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:15:07 GMT 2014

Every month we entertain at some local nursing homes, including
singing some of the good old songs. And each month I get one of
those songs stuck in my brain.

Sometimes it's not so bad - I can live with Lili Marlene repeating in
my brain. But this time I have 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary' (or as
one frisky resident preferred, 'It's a Long Way to Tickle Mary').

The thing is, as the song winds along, I can see the soldiers marching.
In Barrayaran uniforms.

It's amazing how many of the old songs can have a Barrayaran angle
to them - it just springs out at me.

In fact, it's interesting how Barrayar creeps into all kinds of situations -
an actor who looks just right to be a particular character, a 'what would
 Miles do?' situation, and especially a song with words that seem to be
just right for a character. If I'm alone in the car I have the radio going,
and so often a song will suddenly become the theme song for somebody.

Right now... Barryarans marching.

Gwynne