[LMB] Grids, was Solar Dreams Was Bees Was Barrayaran Insect Life

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Sun May 18 14:15:58 BST 2014

On-topic content further below:

The US grid/grids are so interconnected, that "the Great Northeast Blackout"
occurring in the 1960s was a cascade failure involving a power surge that
spread, knocking power plants offline with the the load imbalance then
knocking the plants further down/up the distribution system offline.  Only
someone who disobeyed the protocols prevented the outage from extending even
further.  And then the grid's local abilities to restart were essentially
nonexistent, the assumption which was not one which ever got completely
considered, was that there would not be a general outage--the assumptions
further assumed that outages would be patchy and adjacent facilities which
were still operating, could reboot the offline facilities.

The Great Northeast Blackout ended when MIT ran the dynamos it normally used
for generating magnetic fields at the then-Frrancis Bitter National Magnet
Laboratorry backwards, they came to a total stop in 17 seconds, but those 17
seconds were enough to reboot generators in the city of Cambridges' grid,
and start the reboot of the rest of the grid.  Those generators at MIT,
though are long gone (MIT never lost power, it normally operated
independently... MIT shut off the lights on the Great Dome because MIT was
the essentially the only place in the northeast where th blackout hit which
had power nd which power was "normal" and not emergency power.  MT shut off
the dome lights to not look ostentacious/avoid ticking off the hundreds of
thousand of people without power whose locations included a view of MIT.

Another widespread blackout occurred some years back somewhat further west
in the USA, despite the lessons that were supposed to have been learned from
the Great Northeast Blackout.  Apparently they'd been forgotten and only
lipservice paid to them, and to things like maintenance,
investment/investing in equipment maintenance, and spending money on
equipment which suppresses surges/prevents-or-stops cascading failure modes.

On-topic:

The 4G/5G world is non-industrial age, as is the WGW, neither is a socieity
with power--though one could/might argue that malices are a cascading
failure  mode system!   The Nexus, the less densely populated plants the
power systems would I expect not involve long distance transmission systems
and  closely interconnected interdependent power gridding.   I would expect
that Beta would have isolation equipment and provisions to prevent failures
of any sort on one dome area, from propagating to collapse infrastructure
operation in anaother dome.  Jackson's Whole, run as fiefdoms, I would
expect the cultural attitudes prevalent, to include avoidance of
interdependence, that having one's own f/a/m/i/y  a/t/o/m/i/c/s  power
system isolated or isolatable from the competitons', lest they deliberately
send a surge out in pursuit of sabotage as business-as-usual operation.

That is, i'd expect Jackson's Whole to have de factor "hardened" power
grids.

--Paula Lieberman