[LMB] OT: weaving - foraging and food

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 06:20:00 BST 2014

On 10/3/2014 8:46 PM, Walter Bushell wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2014, at 6:36 PM, Aruvqan wrote:
>
>> Actually, I should try and buy back my Grandparents 9 acre lakefront summer cottage 'estate' and do the whole Lakewalker summer experience =)
> But you can't raise plunkin, and their ability to do so gave them a higher standard of living in their putatively nomadic lifestyle.

Hm.  Google Perry NY - and look at the non-town end of the lake. Oddly
enough it seems to be the only lake that has the inlet and outlet at the
same end [though since there are innumerable smaller springs at the
bottom of the lake, as well as a marsh at the butt end of the lake I
don't consider it only has the one 'official' inlet.] It is one of the
tiniest of the Fingerlakes [though most people don't consider it a
fingerlake, it was created at the same time the rest of them were gouged
out by the glaciers.]

You can actually find pretty much everything that is in general in the
WGW with the exception of plunkin and [happily] Malices. Though I
understand while there are bears and coyotes, there hasn't been wild
boar in better than 100 years. Oh, and every now and again a moose
wanders through, they are not entirely certain where they come from -
most people figure Adirondacks. Given a bit of advance warning to get
the appropriate licensing, Rob could get deer, bear, moose, turkey,
goose, duck, raccoon, squirrel and bunny within the state, and we could
forage lotus [water lily] milkweed, wild carrot, cattails, fiddlehead,
*theoretically* mushrooms [I refuse to forage for mushrooms as I have NO
experience or training, and I would even hesitate to cook them for
someone that did forage them.] assorted vegetables, fruits and berries
from orchards and gardens gone feral [wildlife permitting...] Well -
actually I took several different zone Outward Bound summer courses and
am fairly adept at finding food in the wild. With game frozen so we
wouldn't be poaching out of season, and fresh foraged stuff I could feed
people adequately. Once the garden and orchard were renovated I could
definitely feed people without recourse to a grocery store.

I can tell you exactly *why* I refuse to watch the whole Survivor
series. First season, I missed the first few shows and didn't see it
until a friend was over for dinner and we watched it. Now imagine being
lost on an island in the Pacific with a supply of rice, a sauce pan, a
knife and a lighter. On a verdant island with tide pools. Now start
complaining about nothing to eat except bland rice. OK, jackass. Set
someone with a pile of wood, the sauce pan and the fire. Keep filling
the saucepan with saltwater and boiling it dry, refilling as it dries
out. When you get a quarter inch of *salt* stop and store the resulting
salt in a twist of large leaf. Now have someone go wading in the tidal
pools and grab whatever critters are there. Scoop a pan of water out of
the ocean, simmer said critters until cooked. Remove, reserving the
broth created from cooking the critters. Now cook the rice in the
flavored water. Now you have protein, carb and flavor. *sigh* It really
takes talent to starve when you are given potable water, rice, a means
of cooking and one of the most target rich environments for foraging
foods on earth. [they were cooking the rice in unsalted plain potable
water. They were not foraging the tide pools for seafood. They were not
foraging the jungle for fruits. They were freaking idiots.] When taking
Outward Bound, we learned to forage for food, create shelters, create
fire by several types of friction and how not to kill ourselves in
creative ways. I am seriously wondering what the newer generations are
going to do if they never learn common sense and survival. Last I heard
from some Girl Scouts they don't go camping, last thing they did was
learn to play *bridge*. @_@

---