[LMB] Trans issues (not entirely OT:)

Lucy Chubb lucy at chubb.wattle.id.au
Tue Oct 7 23:51:10 BST 2014

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 12:11:18AM -0700, A. Marina Fournier wrote:

> A friend’s brother became her sister. I hadn’t known her before—I met her in the early part of her “real life” year. We bonded fairly quickly, same as I had with her sister. My only question was relating to social impacts in employment—she worked for HP in IT: why transition to female when you have the “male privilege” as a programmer/manager/engineer? The answer was If I don’t, I’ll die. That meant bone-deep need to me, which I understood immediately. I never asked that question again, of anyone, because I grokked the answer.

That sounds right. Numbers of studies of transgender folk have shown that upward
of 49% have attempted suicide one or more times (and some 80% or so have
seriously considered doing so). Transition moves the attempted suicide rate
much closer to the general population rate (even though it can still be higher
than the general population sometimes because transition can result in people
losing family, job, friends, accomodation etc and they still have to deal with
the psychological damage from before transition.)

Your description of it as a `bone-deep need' is pretty good.

LucyC