[LMB] OT: India/third world

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Thu Oct 16 17:32:40 BST 2014

There is a huge caveat involved--what is the living standard in terms of
healthcare, access to clean water, the local economity cost of living, and
affordability of baskets of goods and services.

The buying power in the local economy in India is not commensurate with the
official exchange rate--CDs are less expensive there proportionally, while
goods imported from the USA are more expensive Books in the USA as
disproportionately less expensive apparently than on Great Britain.

A dollar buys a lot more stuff in most countries, than it does in the USA.
That means that someone in Idnai getting paid a quarter of what someone in
the USA gets, has -more- local buying power and gets lot more stuff per
dollar spent, than someone in the US would get spending four dollars..

--Paula Lieberman