[LMB] OT: Coincidence, was Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 113, Issue 84

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 08:35:58 BST 2014

> From: Kevin Kennedy kevink45 at hotmail.com

> I've been here in Indiana most of my life. In when we we on vacation in Myrtle Beach SC, when I was 9 or so, we encountered cousin Dad hadn't seen side HE was 9, and his wife & kids.   There's a boatload of cousins out there I've never met, Dad's father was one of a dozen kids. His uncles were everything from florist to bookie.

When I was in High School I had to measure and map a waterway. We
chose a creek (had to find one with water in it), gathered a few carloads
of relatives, food and barbecue implements, and headed into a
National Park. The family set up a few barbies and got the usual minor
banquet going while I measured and mapped (I used my brother in the
deeper bits - he always fell in any water that was around anyway. And
we did fish him out afterwards.) After lunch a group of young soldiers
wandered out of the bush (forest), they were on a survival course. They
decided that eating our leftovers qualified as living off the land. As we
chatted it turned out that one of them was the son of a cousin of Dad's.

I don't have that many relatives, but it's surprising how often we run
into each other.

Yep. Coincidences. Gregor never had a chance of disappearing - sooner
or later Miles was bound to run across him.

Gwynne (If r/l was a book, we'd say the author should try a bit harder to
avoid constant coincidences, and weird events.)