[LMB] Warts, with side-trip into OT: word choices

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Mon Oct 27 13:58:16 GMT 2014

[LMB] Warts, with side-trip into OT: word choices
Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Oct 27 12:41:24 GMT 2014

 > On Oct 26, 2014, at 10:38 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at
hotmail.com> wrote:

 >> For me, "trod" catches my attention without adding meaning.
 >
 > 'Trod' always sounds like very deliberate careful walking, to me.
 > Someone is watching where and how they place their steps.  It's
 > not the same as just 'walked'. As for 'padded', it doesn't bother
 > me - it adds a sense of relaxation and informality, somehow, But
 > I haven't seen it used very often, it mustn't be a biggie with my
 > favourite authors.

HB:  I've always thought of "Trod" as being careless almost stomping.
When someone treads on me, he isn't being careful about it.

LMB:  I think of it as a clumpy, masculine, or possibly somewhat
hungover or short-on-sleep way of walking.  Ivan, the lunk, would
"trod"; Lady Alys, never.

On the subject of word use generally, while I think it almost fair to
complain about an unusual word being used more than once in an entire
120,000-word novel, I think it irrational to go on to insist the word
must never be used again throughout a 16-book series.  The cumulative
effect would be to strip the author of vocabulary.

(Btw, if one were looking for wart-starters not naturally occurring to
this self-selected and pre-biased group, one could go look at all the
one- and two-star reviews of my books on Amazon and the like....)

Ta, L.