[LMB] Warts, with side-trip into OT: word choices

Bill Welch moremoth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 21:08:24 GMT 2014

On 27 October 2014 13:58, Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com>
wrote:

> [LMB] Warts, with side-trip into OT: word choices
> Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
> Mon Oct 27 12:41:24 GMT 2014
>

> > 'Trod' always sounds like very deliberate careful walking, to me.
> > Someone is watching where and how they place their steps.  It's
> > not the same as just 'walked'. As for 'padded', it doesn't bother
> > me - it adds a sense of relaxation and informality, somehow, But
> > I haven't seen it used very often, it mustn't be a biggie with my
> > favourite authors.
>

> HB:  I've always thought of "Trod" as being careless almost stomping.
> When someone treads on me, he isn't being careful about it.
>
> LMB:  I think of it as a clumpy, masculine, or possibly somewhat hungover
> or short-on-sleep way of walking.  Ivan, the lunk, would "trod"; Lady Alys,
> never.
>
> Or placing one's feet deliberately, as in:

"Sire, the night is darker now, and the wind blows stronger;
Fails my heart, I know not how; I can go no longer."
"Mark my footsteps, good my page. Tread thou in them boldly
Thou shalt find the winter's rage freeze thy blood less coldly."
In his master's steps he trod, where the snow lay dinted;
Heat was in the very sod which the saint had printed."

Walking through snow is very tready.

Bill