[LMB] OT: word choices

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 01:23:39 GMT 2014

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 16:00:53 -0500, beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com
wrote:

>For me "tramp" doesn't mean how you walk, it means a particular type of
>person or freighter--a tramp (i.e. hobo-type drifter) or a "tramp
>freighter" (i.e. the type of ship run by the watergoing equivalent of a
>tramp).  Or it can mean a "loose" woman--something that looks slutty might
>be called "trampy," and a "tramp stamp" is a tatoo in a place that would
>only be seen if you were a) wearing almost nothing or b) naked.

In UK usage, "tramp stamp" is reserved for those tattoos you see on the
lower back, just above the buttocks.  They're generally visible when
low-slung shorts or jeans are worn with a crop-top, especially when
bending over (often with a large expanse of thong also displayed).
--

Marc

logic, n. The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the
limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding. (Ambrose Bierce)