[LMB] Heavyhandedness and Rob S. Pierre, was: What are warts to me.

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 17:22:52 GMT 2014

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 08:42:56 -0500, beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com
wrote:

>I'm interested in the difference between US and UK useage, actually.  We
>have a lot of official forms that ask for first name, last name, and
>middle initial--on official forms, it's more common to ask for an initial
>than the whole name.  The statewide assessment tests in school, in fact,
>may be where I started including my middle initial.

We get the same thing- though partly because a lot of websites are
designed for US usage.  It seems that it's practically a legal
requirement to have a middle name!  Some sites are very reluctant to
accept a name with no middle name/initial (I gather that the Army
requires you to specify "none" as your middle name, should you not have
one - e.g. "Jack none Reacher").

Here, a lot of sites don't even ask.  Some official ones will ask, and
some even mandate full name with any and all middle names (e.g. my
driving licence has the full set).

It's more common to be asked for initials/middle name(s) on forms, and
in some cases they're insistent on the whole set.  What you don't often
see is the canonical US-style form with room for just one initial.

Interestingly, going back to the discussion about the way names are
formed, my business partner and I have names built on an identical
template:

Given name - Father's given name - Mother's maiden name - surname.

We only met at university, and come from quite different locations and
backgrounds, so it's not a location/community thing.

When I worked in Holland, some people assumed I was a Catholic, because
I had so many names- so there, it's a signifier.  Tony *is* from a
Catholic background, but I'm not.
--

Marc

"Don't you try to outweird me. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal." -Zaphod Beeblebrox