[LMB] Nora Roberts, was More UF and PNR, was Hugos and slates

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Wed Apr 8 19:39:45 BST 2015

I overdosed on her J. Robb writing when I borrowed some number of the In
Death (which I thnk outnumber Jim Butcher Dresden File books) books from the
NESFA Library (NESFA has a lending library for member local to the area) and
proceeded to read five or six sequentially--I burned out.  They're slightly
deeper than popcorn books, but don't stand up to poking at the
world-building.  That's why I had "SF Lite" in my description.  The are
people out living in space, but the mechanics of where/how far away, might
be slightly more credible that the space physics (ha, ha, ha...) in Firefly
[my willling suspension of disbelief was subterranean...).

My suggestion to folks who are thinking about reading J. D. Robb books, do
NOT  do what I did, do not read multiple of them in succession without
taking days of breaks in between, because there is too much sameness from
book to book if reading with eyeballs and mind processing not already
attuned to J D Robb Appreciation.   There is too much relative of Mary
Suewish fulfillment --the male lead is handsome and the richest fellow in
existence, so there is the magic moneybelt he can buy anything purchaseable,
rent anything he wants to rent, commandeer a spaceship at an instant's
notice going offplanet, etc.

Lois mentioned months ago having read a Jayne Ann Castle (not the same
person as Nora Roberts!) book, Jayne Ann Krentz (who also writes as Jayn Ann
Castle, and Amanda Quick) maintains that what she writes is "romantic
suspense."  Her Amanda Quick books are set pre-20th century--she will not
write books in the times where there are the shadow of WWI and WWII and the
winds of those wars approaching, the shadows of those times are too dark for
her for her to be willing to write in those settings (source, live online
chats ), her Jayne Ann Krentz novels are contemporary times, and her Jayne
Ann Castle books going forward from some years back, are on colony
planets--the setting she settled on sticking with is the planet Harmony,
colonized though a "curtain" which acted as a Gate, which closed a few
generations before the times of her stories started.   They're on the
intersection of science fiction, romantic suspense, and futuristic romance.
The worldbuilding is stronger than the J D Robb In Death series--Castle has
alien gardens and alien artifacts, left behind by a vanished sapient race.
J. D. Robb has New York City  sometime in the future as the principle
setting, and therefore the worldbuilding is projection forward of what
exists today.

Since JAK is writing romantic suspense and follows various conventions, each
book has a romance in it of a new couple, and there are threats on the lives
of heroine and/or hero, and usually dead bodies along the way with one or
more murders to have to solve.   The creative aspects involve the
worldbuilding and what new things the characters have found/are discovering
about the world, and what dust bunnies may be in the story and what are they
going to do.... "little furry animals with Great Big Teeth!" is one
description which can apply to them.  They are sources of humor, also, and
they sometimes do use those Great Big Teeth on The Bad Guys.  And they have
idiosyncracies.. which can be highly amusing.

Lois did an analysis of the JAK book she read.  They've got more depth than
creampuff reading, some of it is subtle. But they also follow conventions
(see above) which tend to be scope-limiting as regards depth.  Her main
characters are heteronormative and destined for coupling.  Her minor
characters include male/male domestic partners.  Her social arrangements
have two forms of marriage, one of convenience  which can be terminated with
little legal muss or fuss, and "Covennt Marriage which is permanent and very
difficult and expensive to get out of.

Her characters don't do lots of Serious Introspection and don't that I
recall do non-self-deprecating obsession about partnering interest objects.
There are veins of humor running through her books (dust bunny antics are
not the only humorious parts) which leaven the darker parts (o d being
romantic suspense, there is going to be content which is not all light and
fluff)

Because each book focuses on a sepaate pair of people, the readership quorum
which depends on following the same character or characters as protagonists
through a series of books, doesn't exist--each book has to have its own
focal point romance and protagonists.  There are minor characers who can
overlap among books, but two characters and the leads of each book, and any
future appearance of them is as minor characters... the readership following
which does exist, depends on commonality of setting, on author reputation,
and on the conventions of the genres involved, to be attracted and stay with
the series.

--Paula Lieberman