[LMB] OT: Writing collaborations

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Mon Apr 20 18:25:33 BST 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 09:24:18AM -0500, Louann Miller wrote:
> Niven Pournelle is the rare example of a compound author who is better than
> either component.

As I said, I think hardly anyone disputes that for _Mote_.  For the
other collaborations... as James Nicoll put it, "Over the years, to
borrow from Alan Moore, Niven grew more like Pournelle; Pournelle too
became more like Pournelle."

e.g.
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/man-versus-motie
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/lucifers-hammer
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/footfall

I haven't read them, but I doubt that I would find the latter two books
better than classic Niven on his own.

I'd love ot read *Jennifer* Pournelle's _Outies_, which gets good
reviews, but I think it's only available as DRM ebook.

-xx- Damien X-)