[LMB] I'm not obsessed....

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 03:32:29 GMT 2015

On 12/3/2015 10:16 PM, Howard Brazee wrote:
> Psychologists have lots of evidence that we have false memories.
We did a module in one of my psych classes on how to self hypnotize to
modify memories ... it is only ethical to do it to ones-self [and I am
not entirely certain I would go along with it being ethical to do to
ones-self. I dislike the idea of self delusion.] I do world building my
own pocket universe to have a pain control happy place. Same technique
of visualization is used to create or change a memory.

And it is roughly the same as always hearing the family recount
something that you did that was annoying/cute/precocious at a family
celebration when you were what is realistically to young to have the
full memory [I have *glimpses* of playing with a black and white cat. I
never actually knew my sister had a black and white cat that died when I
was 2 years old so I should have not had any flashes of playing with the
cat. In all, probably about 2 seconds of memory flash.] If I were to
have done something like ride one of my grandfathers Shepherds like a
pony, I could have been given the memory of riding it if I had grown up
hearing that I rode the silly thing. Typically, forming memories takes a
certain amount of interactivity with others and changes in location or
situations - one of the reasons that being shoved into a retirement home
tends to be fairly bad for the elderly because one day blends into the
next and inhibits memory formation. As a rough in general children under
kindergarten age don't end to retain memories for more than a few years
- training reinforcement is required [hence the repeated reinforcement
of manners training, or rote learning of the alphabet and numbers.]

---