[LMB] I'm not obsessed....

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 23:36:09 GMT 2015

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 20:16:05 -0700, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>> On Dec 3, 2015, at 8:04 PM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure about that. I have a vague memory (all my memories are
>> vague) that there's two types of memory storage - raw data, and our
>> interpretations.  Questions about what we actually saw or heard would
>> run pretty simply - and we've seen that FP makes a person very
>> literal, so they'd report sensory input pretty clearly. Their own interpretation
>> is a different matter, and a skilled interrogator would differentiate
>> between the two.
>
>When we pull a memory out of long-term memory, it gets modified - and placed back in long-term memory.   It’s like playing “telephone”.
>
>Psychologists have lots of evidence that we have false memories.

Anyone who has done even casual reading in the area will hope fervently
that their life or liberty never hinges on eyewitness testimony.

- the experiment where a number of subjects are shown a film of a car
accident, then asked a number of questions: one key question is "Was the
red car speeding?"  The answer breakdown by percentage was something
like Yes-55 ;No - 33 ; Not Sure - 10.  Only 2% had the correct answer:
there *was* no red car.

- the one where people are asked to watch a basketball game and comment
on some aspect of it: almost no-one remarks on the man dressed in a
gorilla suit who walks through the scene.