[LMB] OT: Irony and past leaders, was Gregor

Helen Fenton hifenton at internode.on.net
Sat Dec 5 03:33:09 GMT 2015

> On 5 Dec 2015, at 10:41 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 14:09:26 +1100, Gwynne Powell
> <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> From: "A. Marina Fournier" saffronrose at me.com

>>> Dead when it was named, but the irony of naming an airport for the man, Ronald Reagan, who fired all the air traffic controllers during his term is not lost on me.
>>
>> We lost a Prime Minister once. He went into the ocean for a swim
>> and never came out. Theories included sharks, Chinese submarines
>> and the CIA, but most likely he just drowned.
>>
>> In Melbourne they named a swimming pool after him.
>>
>> Gwynne (I'm not kidding about the Chinese submarines and the CIA.
>> There are people - and I'm related to a few - who still seriously believe
>> that it was all a Devious Plot by one country or another.)
> Sharks?  Don't be silly.  They'd not eat a politician, they'd give him
> an honour guard.
> --
Yep particularly as he was a Liberal Party Prime Minister ( unfortunately in Oz the Liberal party is right wing ultra conservative just like your republicans - at least ours don't support the gun lobby. It was a liberal prime minister who brought in the Oz gun control laws) .

You are right about the Sharks though - they recognise their own. The beach where he went for his last swim is incredibly dangerous with rip tides, vicious rocks. It is so dangerous that it is posted Do Not Swim and is not patrolled. He got into trouble by insisting on swimming alone and ended up as fish food.