[LMB] OT: Irony and past leaders, was Gregor

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Dec 6 17:40:01 GMT 2015

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 07:44:40 +0000 (GMT), "A. Marina Fournier"
<saffronrose at me.com> wrote:

>The US, with some states and at the federal level, is beginning to consider making voting more compulsory, a bit easier to uniformly register nationwide (we have some folks who believe there's a lot of fraud going on in voting--I don't think that's where fraud is occurring--and want to restrict access to what many feel is our sacred duty as citizens), and as Australia and other enlightened nations have done, make it a Federal holiday to allow more working people the time to place the vote. While I'm on the "permanent absentee/vote by mail" rolls, I still tend to want to turn mine in physically. It's not illegal to vote yet.

I applaud the places that have auto-registered voters.  It's sadly going
the other way here; it used to be possible for universities to
block-register students, now they have to register individually.  IMO,
it's a blatant attempt by the Tories to suppress the youth vote, which
seldom goes in their favour.

I'm a fan of the compulsory voting idea, as long as (a) the fine for not
doing so is not too onerous and (b) there's either a public holiday or a
statutory entitlement to time off to vote.