[LMB] OT: Irony and past leaders, was Gregor

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Sun Dec 6 20:57:18 GMT 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30366986

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34621004

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-30252713

>http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/individual-electoral-registration.html
>
>I understood that block-register "register them en masse" only applied to
>students in University halls of residence and other provided accommodation.
>Most Unis have less than half of students in such so this is probably a bit
>of a made up point.

Up until 2014, the University could act as "Head of the Household" for
students.

That's now been stopped.

It doesn't just affect students; all adults must now register
individually.  This will disproportionately affect the young, ethnic
minorities, and the poor.

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/voter-registration-report/

http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/voter-registration

The principle is fine: moving away from the Victorian notion of "Head of
Household".  But the timing is cynical: those missing will be deemed not
to exist when the boundary changes are considered this month, allowing
some gerrymandering to go on.