[LMB] OT: Irony and past leaders, was Gregor

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 7 00:41:21 GMT 2015

> From: Alex Kwan litalex at gmail.com

> >  On Dec 05, 2015, at 07:11 PM, Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have very little patience for people who whinge about issues or politicians that didn't bother getting off their asses and voting - they had their chance to make their will known and they didn't bother. Sucks to be them.

> In the States, election day isn?t a holiday, so it?s difficult for a lot of people to go vote.

We vote on a Saturday, and the doors stay open until 6 pm.
Most places where people have to work that day allow time
for workers to go and vote. If you know ahead of time that
you'll be travelling/working/incapacitated/etc, you can apply
for a postal vote, fill in the forms and mail it off.

It's compulsory to vote, so most people make the effort (we
have a fairly high compliance level). One good thing about
compulsory voting is that you can't be disenfranchised. (Well,
not as easily.)

Mind you, I've worked on the polling booths for several elections,
and I generally end up feeling that there should be some kind
of entry exam for voters.

Gwynne