[LMB] Why is Aral bisexual?

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Wed Dec 9 15:59:57 GMT 2015

Squick alert below, some might want Brain Bleach... (I will provide a
warning before it..,
There is also a RANT ALERT, which some (or most?) might want to or consider
skipping, in the end portion of the post.

The science fiction community has had a number of homosexual or bisexual
people in it--Tom Scortia, Frank Robsinson, and George Scithers were all
gay.  Melissa Scott is lesbian, and her late partner Lisa Barnett was.  Kate
Worley who wrote Omaha the Cat Dancer and other comic, was bi. Nicola
Griffith is a lesbian.  Jean Johnson is bi.  Chip Delany is homosexual or
perhaps bi.  Arthur C. Clarke was homosexual.  David Gerrold is gay.  Don
Sakers is gay, and years ago he and his partner (husband since it was legal
for gay marriage) won the "Oldiwed Game" held years ago at a Worldcon. o

The reality of homosexuality and bisexuality was/is a fact in the SF/F
community, even if the larger mundane world society refused to accede to
officially acknowledging it as "normal" and socially
non-irresponsible/acceptable for anyone as opposed ,to regarding it as
aberrant/evil/criminal/unacceptable outlook/behavior people.  That the
official social opinion was condemnatory, of course, did not prevent
high-level hypocrisy of condemning homosexuality, but nonetheless engaging
in it (Ted Haggerty, for example...)

The default remains heteronormative, though social acceptability in the
western world is majority acceding of homosexuality and to a degree
bisexuality. Gender fluidity's less acceded to, "there's a MAN in the
WOMAN'S restroom!" objectionability is an expression of discomfort wih
transgendering. Homosexuality isn't intuitively obvious to the casual
oberver seeing a random solo person who's out in public, but someone whose
shape and physique and genitalia and attire appear to be unambiguously
heteronormtive, being gender fluid not on the direction of physical
appearance and genitalia, gets viewed as aberrant/threatening--and might be,
if e.g. the person is actually heteronormative and is a predator claiming to
be transgendered as a way of getting to potential victims.

BRAIN BLEACH ALERT FOR  PARENTHETICAL COMMENT IN SECOND SENTENCE IN
PARAGRAPH BELOW!!

Shards of Honor is an end of the 1970s start of the 1980s novel. Cordelia
winds up on a Patriarchal planet at the end, and the focus of her emotional
journey is not in her relationships with women (other than having her mother
in it, and THAT is a place where lesbian relationships generally do NOT go
in literature), but on her relationships with -men-, and particularly, with
Aral.

END BRAIN BLEACH WARNING

The gender balance is heavily male in the number of characters.  Female
characters--Cordelia, her mother, Lady Alys, Dru (or doe she first
chronologially apear in Barrayar?), the echoes of Aral's long-dead wife,
long dead mother, long-dead aunt, and long gone grandmother Prince Xav's
wife.

Male characters--Aral, Prince Serg, Ezar, Gregor, Piotr, Dubaer, Kou, Padma,
Steady Freddie, the therapist, Bothari, Ges, various ImpSec sorts, the
echoes of Prince Xav and Mad Yuri and Aral's older brother and the fellows)
Aral killed dueling,

The novel has the environment of the end of the 1970s and start of the 1980s
as regards gender balance of characters in SF/F.

RANT ALERT, RANT ALERT

"Traditional" SF/F focused on -male- characters and their concerns and the
Hero's Journey... female characters in traditional SF were tophies or
one-offs or in pink ghettoes.  I get very irritated in contemporarily first
time published stories of "all pilots are male, Our Story is about the First
Female Pilot..."  Ptui, I saw THAT story back around 1976, I was acquainted
with Lorraine Straczinsky who was one of the first twelve women accepted
into USAF pilot training, lost contact with her when she headed off to
flight school, and lived it as the third of the first three women in ROTC at
MIT and the first of the three to go on active duty in the military.  Don't
wanna read more stories of stuff quite literally more than a generation old
and outdated to me, set in the future.

And that's why "More Barrayaran Empire" fails to appeal to -me-. Resonances
to issues which involved various unpleasantries and discomfort etc. more
than half my life ago, tend to not be appealing to me.

END RANT ALERT

--Paula Lieberman