[LMB] there has to be a word for it

M R L Dolbear m.dolbear at lineone.net
Sat Dec 19 01:15:15 GMT 2015

From: Lois McMaster Bujold
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2015 12:07 AM

LMB> In medieval (and other) hunting, it was the custom for beaters to drive
game into a sort of chute, at the end of which hunters would be set up
and waiting.  What did they call the killing end of the chute?  Neither
cul-de-sac nor box canyon, methinks, tho' at least the former is French...

> having very high-grade aphasia tonight, L.

Killing ground would do but I see no evidence that it was used in this
specific context.

1894   R. Kipling Jungle Bk. 106   That's the first time a seal has ever
come to the killing-grounds alone.

Little Egret by email (Windows Live Mail)
Michael Dolbear in Walton-on-Thames