[LMB] there has to be a word for it

Frank Kempe FAKempe at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 19 17:03:28 GMT 2015

From: lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk <lois-bujold-bounces at lists.herald.co.uk> on behalf of Aruvqan <aruvqan at gmail.com>
.Isn't an abattoir more of a slaughter and cut up place, not a killing
ground? It tends to be used for commercial butchery in the sense of a
slaughterhouse rather than for hunting.

.On 12/18/2015 10:51 PM, Frank Kempe wrote:
> Seeing Aruvqan's finds I thought of "abattoir" and it fits for meaning at least. I hope that it works for you.

Aruvqan is correct that abattoir means slaughterhouse. It has that meaning in MW Collegiate and Shorter OED dictionaries. When I look up slaughterhouse in the Shorter OED 6th Edition I find it as;

   --comb.: slaughterhouse (a) a place or building for the slaughter of animals for food; a scene of carnage:

Further slaughter is defined as the killing not the butchery of animals for food. I don't have any good ideas on what to look for with regard to a game drive leading to a killing zone by any name. I was surprised that abattoir came into English in the 19th Century. I thought it was older than that.

   G'luck,
      Frank