[LMB] Shambles, etc.

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Wed Dec 23 06:21:08 GMT 2015

[LMB] Shambles, etc.
Jason Long sturmvogel66 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 01:06:26 GMT 2015

Lois,
I'm currently reading With a Bended Bow: Archery in Medieval and
Renaissance Europe by Erik Roth and it has a chapter or medieval hunting.
This says that the most common form of bow hunting was to use beaters with
dogs to drive deer past archers waiting in a blind and that this was called
"bow and stable". The closest that it mentions anything like what you were
describing is that sometimes the deer were driven into nets or other
enclosures for the noblewomen to kill at their leisure.

LMB:  Fascinating discussion, all!

But I have given up on trying to squeeze a metaphor out of the
foregoing; if any such word did emerge, it's plain that it would be too
obscure to be recognizable to readers.  Happily, there is more stock in
the metaphor store...

Ta, L.

(Btw, I will be offline over the holiday weekend, so if anyone has any
direct addresses, I'm not blowing you off; I'll see it all next week.)