[LMB] Now OT: Re: Dividing up 2016

Nicholas David Rosen ndrosen at erols.com
Fri Dec 25 19:54:51 GMT 2015

M R L Dolbear wrote:

>>> Months are for sale? does the government know about this?
>>> Sylvia (g,d,r)
>
>> Politicians will sell anything.
>
> Or steal
>
> Witness Julius Caesar's stealing a day from February for Quintilis (renamed
> July) lest the month now named after a short fellow be a short month.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July

The way I read it, the Emperor Augustus stole a day from February to make
August as long as July, so that he would be no less honored in the calendar
than his great-uncle Gaius Julius Caesar.  The Wikipedia entry doesn't say
anything about the matter; does a better scholar than I am have a definite
answer?

Best Regards,
Nicholas D. Rosen
ndrosen at erols.com