[LMB] OT: Mixed blessings, was SF for various generations

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Mon Dec 28 23:22:18 GMT 2015

The American Museum of Textile History has some old factory machines... the
spinning jennies were VERY noisy, and people could got injured/crippled/even
died when equipment malfunctions occurred

The factories sometimes caught fire  with horrible consequences--Triangle
Shirt was not the only catastrophic fire, and not the only factory that the
workers couldn't get out past locked/blocked/chained shut doors and windows.

Lanolin-soaked wooden flooring  and beams were combustion hazards, for
example.

The Bread and Roses strikes and riots started ironically from a Governor who
was trying to improve work conditions, by mandating a shorter work week.  He
failed to realize that cutting the work week without requiring a raise the
hourly wages to keep worker income the same, was going to result in factory
owners and operators cutting weekly wages while also demanding the workers
produce the same amount of cloth in the shorter work week as they had been
making in the longer work week.  The workers rebelled--they objected to the
salary cuts and the more stressful work, their work conditions becoming more
unsafe due to requirement to work faster, and a higher accident rate and
more severe injury tending to result.

Low educational level jobs keep disappearing--agricultural robot which move
plant around at nurseries are a reality.  They do a faster, more accurate
and precise job of relocating and placing pots full of plants or balled root
plants in rectilinear blocks, they don't bored, they don't get back
injuries, they don't forget what the directions were or misunderstand what
they were told to do (programming issues are a different issue).  Apparently
the workers who don't get surplused like working with the robots, it means
that they get to do work at the nurseries which is less tedious and more
interesting/rewarding and less painfully repetitive/boring and back-hurting.
But, it does cut the number of people needed to move plants around.

People and jobs get idiosyncratic--most people don't like having work they
perceive as make work.  They tend to want careers which they think in some
way are worthwhile to society or have some intrinsic value, and aren't
pity-employment and such, or make work, or given to them out of charitable
impulses...

--Paula Lieberman