[LMB] SF for various generations

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 17:53:56 GMT 2015

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 10:26:12 -0500, Lois Aleta Fundis
<loisaletafundis at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 5:38 AM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>

>> Jeeves is a famous butler to Bertie Wooster in P.G. Wodehouse's comic
>> masterpieces.
>> He was a very superior servant, and actually smarter than his master.
>>

>And Bertie had attended Eton and Oxford and so, one might conclude, was not
>entirely idiotic. Until one compares him to Jeeves, that is.
>
>I re-read many of the Jeeves/Wooster stories a few months ago. Which is why
>the "Jeevesing" usage bothers me. I feel that it totally misrepresents the
>original Jeeves.
>
>Jeeves, if anything, uses his "inferior" servant status in many situations
>to his own advantage, as well as getting "young Bertram" [one of
>Bertie-as-narrator's favorite ways of referring to himself] out of trouble.
>
>Come to think of it, these stories may have been my first introduction to
>the "unreliable narrator" concept, as embodied by Bertie Wooster.
>
>I highly recommend these stories to anyone who hasn't yet read them. The TV
>adaptations starring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie were also wonderful.

Regrettable as his political naiveté was, I consider "Plum" Wodehouse to
be one of the best writers of light comedy in the English language.

And Fry & Laurie were *born* to play those roles - there have been many
versions of the Jeeves and Wooster stories, but theirs I feel is the
best.