[LMB] SF for various generations

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 18:05:47 GMT 2015

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:10:24 +1100, Gwynne Powell
<gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> From: Helen Fenton hifenton at internode.on.net
>
>> Helen - wondering suspiciously how an Anglo family ended up with a form of porphyria common to the Boers of South Africa.
>
>Interesting - I'm also from an Anglo family living in Oz, and I have
>a minor condition that's generally associated with Boers in South
>Africa (I have no Boer heritage back to at least the 1600's).
>
>Is this some trend? Unsuspecting Oz families with Boer roots that
>we don't know about?

There are genes from the Low Countries spread all over England, though
with a concentration in the East.  Not just Dutch, but Flemish
immigrants (weavers and lace-makers among others).

There was a pub in Salford (next door to Manchester) called "The Flemish
Weaver", and there's at least one other by that name (Corsham in
Wiltshire).