[LMB] Old stories, new releases? BoI linking story

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Mon Feb 16 15:54:03 GMT 2015

[LMB] Old stories, new releases? BoI linking story
M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 05:01:08 GMT 2015

I'm looking for the Borders of Infinity anthology with the linking
story. Has it been re-released lately? IIRC, the book was only released
in paperback, and it was one of the first of my Bujold books to fall
apart. I was really lucky and got one more before they sold out . . .
but even that is showing its age. Is it available in hardback or electrons?

LMB:  Yep, an e-edition is available at Amazon, iPad, and Nook.

e.g.,
http://www.amazon.com/Borders-Infinity-3-novella-collection-Vorkosigan-ebook/dp/B0062CKP2S/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1424100989&sr=1-1&keywords=borders+of+infinity

All complete, including the linking story.

This is the 2011 edit I did when we were first putting up the
direct-placement e-books (which, so far, has been the best business
decision I ever made.)  I spent the first six or eight months of that
year going through them all, at what speed I could muster around my
assorted medical adventures, mostly sitting in the corner of my living
room in the big blue chair with my laptop.  I learned a lot in the
process.  Still learning; I pulled out one of those files (_Shards of
Honor_) to go over in order to give it to Baen for a fresh trade
paperback printing coming this fall, and I was _still_ finding typos,
brainos, and misspellings (mostly, to be fair, British spellings) that
had escaped all eyes for decades, sigh.

Also artifacts of prior edits, where one takes out old errors and
inserts new ones, part of which makes this a never-ending process. The
most amusingly recognizable was where I finally gave up the British
spelling of grey and replaced it with the American gray, for Vorkosigan
eyes and Dendarii uniforms, etc., and inadvertently created the
"grayhound".

If you want a Real Rule of Writing, as so many people do, "never do a
global search-and-replace after midnight" is a good one.

Ta, L.