[LMB] OT: Foot binding, was Barrayaran squid, was sort of, home decor.

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 2 07:14:23 BST 2015

I suspect part of it was economics. Women often got married. When they did, the
employer had an excuse to fire them, and hire someone at entry level. I don't know
why they didn't do it with men. Anger issues? Entitlement and anger issues? Or
maybe they found some other excuse to fire the men, but we don't hear those stories
as often.

     For skilled labor, it makes little sense to fire a great woman getting married
while retaining a lousy man. But, it happened. One of the great designers for Louis
C. Tiffany had to quit when she got married. She got her job back when she was
widowed (and destitute because her husband had poor financial planning). She had to
quit again when she got married. This is at the turn of the 19th century to the
20th. Look her up -- Clara Driscoll. Fascinating life. Her romantic life was a bit
more torturous than I tend to imagine a romantic life can be.

Micki