[LMB] Who is KOMARR?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 3 05:28:47 BST 2015

> From: Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk

> On Wed, 27 May 2015 10:06:10 -0600, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com>
> wrote:
> >Good question! Because Bas are palace eunuchs, rarely seen in the Nexus and even in Cetagandan civilian life, I don't think there is a title for them. And because they are slaves, their title of address is probably "Hey! You! Ba!"

> I thought the plural of Ba was Ba.

I agree on the plural. But I think the Haut-Ba relationship is very
complex - mirroring Count-armsman, perhaps.  And Arqua-Jewel.
Ba aren't just slaves, they're close relatives. And servants. Probably
Jeeveses. They are capable of free thought, movement and
planning - the actions of the Ba in DI show access to a lot of money,
 and the time and knowledge to move goods around, as well as
getting hold of high-quality fake ID. I'll bet they make Ghem-officers
working in the domes very uncomfortable - technically a Ghem-
General should far outrank a Ba, but I don't think they try to test
it if they can help it. If a Haut had to decide which was more
valuable, a Ba or a Ghem-General, I wouldn't want to be the Ghem.

Gwynne