[LMB] 5 GU name survey

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Jun 13 13:48:10 BST 2015

> On Jun 13, 2015, at 12:59 AM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> The thing about this, though, is that Juliette just means "itty bitty young one
> (f)" -- Desdemona means "comes from demons." What parent is going to name their kid
> that? Well, one who doesn't look at baby books, I guess. But if you've got four
> syllables and a Shakespeare vibe, I think you are probably the type of parent who
> will at least glance at the etymology. (Who knows, though? There's an urban legend
> that some people named their girls Chlamydia -- which is also a charming, musical
> name that turns into a PITA. Or that general region.)

I was volunteering with some young kids at our zoo, and saw a little girl named Jezebel, which I though was odd.    Checking http://www.babycenter.com/popularBabyNames.htm?year=2015, I see the number 2 girls’ name is Olivia, which is a name apparently invented by Shakespeare.   I guess they don’t think Shakespeare first with it anymore.

It’s fun to see which names go in and out of style.    If it’s too popular, we assume an era (as in my sister Linda’s age).   Sometimes we have a new reference - Hilary dropped in popularity when it became associated with the first lady.