[LMB] CoC: Ch 17 - Soul and demon metaphors - was The importance of correct information

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 12:30:29 BST 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 6:09 AM, Walter S Bushell <proto at panix.com> wrote:

> > On Jun 17, 2015, at 13:19, Jim Parish <jparish at siue.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Marc Wilson wrote:
> >> D'oh! I meant "straight flush" [as against five aces], of course.
> >
> > In the absence of wild cards, five of a kind ought to beat a straight
> flush. Assuming that there are 13 denominations, there are 13 possible
> five-of-a-kinds, as against 40 or 45 (depending on whether A-2-3-4-5
> counts) straight flushes. The rarer the combination, the higher it ranks.
> >
> > (I sometimes teach a course on combinatorics, and one of the examples I
> always work out is the number of possible five-card hands of each type.)
> >
> > Jim Parish
>

> Figures, combinations and statistics were developed for card games.

Well, the birth of probability theory was actually a question about dice
games - two nearly-equal probability events, with received knowledge being
that the actually-worse one was better, and enough doubts raised that
Blaise Pascal was asked to answer it:

See:
https://introductorystats.wordpress.com/2010/11/12/one-gambling-problem-that-launched-modern-probability-theory/

(the full story is more complex, of course. You can see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_probability for more about it - it
refers to Blaise Pascal's examination indirectly in the Origins section.)

Karen Hunt