[LMB] novella report, book bombs

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Fri Jun 19 21:11:15 BST 2015

[LMB] novella report, book bombs
Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Jun 19 19:03:07 BST 2015

 >LMB:  Yes, and the vendors get that material from the publisher. They
 >don't pull it out of the air by mental telepathy.  Some minion at the
 >publisher has to write it up, organize and format it, get in all the
 >right numbers, etc., and send it in, and then it has to get through the
 >vendors' minions' work queues.

Marc:  Oh, I understand that- I just wondered if it's even possible for
self-pub, or will they only do that for the big publishers?
--

LMB:  OK, I see.

I have no idea.  For a novella, I don't see it as being a worthwhile
exercise -- for one thing, I would have to delay the folks who are
supposed to be getting the story up with yet another task, which I don't
see as a win, when they could actually just be getting the story _up_.
If I ever were to write a self-pubbed e-novel, it might be worth looking
into, but I have no plans for that at present.  But really, the main
practical purpose of doing pre-orders is to help establish accurate
print runs, which is moot with e-books.

We are all _used_ to seeing book hype around book launches, but with
e-books, is that really necessary?  I mean, beyond the entertainment
value to the principals, which I admit exists to a degree for me -- it's
like a sports game for book nerds -- but monetary value/audience growth
over what I hope will be the long-haul life of a story, I dunno.

So let's see what happens...

Ta, L.