[LMB] Australian Fauna OT: was Listee Location Map

I iosef at gothic.net.au
Tue Jun 30 14:02:41 BST 2015

On 30/06/2015 3:44 AM, Hilary Powers wrote:

> But as to Huntsman spiders, we had one living in the privy at one of
> the first big SCA events in Australia, and one of the locals - to
> reassure the terrified furriners about their harmlessness - described
> how she'd had one living in her home while she was growing up.

Rowany Festival at Wilton? I think we met there a long time ago. There
were huntsmen about most years to the consternation of we arachnophobes,
but the years with the "fire spitter" caterpillars (1) were worse.

Iestyn

(1) not sure what they were the larval form of but the both has a short
acid "spit" and an acidic secretion. very nasty to touch or irritate and
they moved around in long meandering "columns" nose to tail. Watch where
you are going and don't step on or right beside.