[LMB] Cover and books, was genesis of new book

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Wed Mar 18 16:26:36 GMT 2015

I -did- think of movies and TV series being stimulants for sales of books
they're supposedly based on, but then I immediately thought of The Script
from Hell and decided to tiptoe around the issue!!!!

I wonder if there every might be a chance for a bearable-to-readers AV
adaptation of Lois' work?   Jupiter Ascending passed the Bechdel Test, had
multiple named female characters with speaking roles and independent lives,
was very pretty... and plotwise was a -massive- mess.  It had the preface
plot of a Jupiter's parents, then exposition as entrance ramp to a jump
forward in time and circumferentially in location to the lot of working low
social rank immigrant family in the USA, then appear alien bountry hunters
with no immediate obvious connection to what the audience has been seeing,
there's a speedskater racing /skateboader speeding around in the air
courtesy of m/a/g/i/c b/o/o/t/s  jet-powered anti-gravity s/k/a/t/e/s
boots, aliens intruding on Jupiter's life, and then it's through the
wormhole or jump gate and we're in a relative of the Dune interstellar
universe crossed with the upper class of the Roman or some other Empire,
with a serving of baroque bureaucracy for comic relief... there are several
other disparate elements which don't form a thematic harmonious
complementary gestalt/whole.

Various of the -elements- might correspond to a degree of promise that Lois'
work -could- be translated effectively and viewing-worthily to the big or
small display, BUT, the whole of the film... park your brain outside the
room or theater to watch and suspend such things as flight dynamics,
juxtapostion of cleaning toilets and having command of space assets, and
wolf/human hybrids plucked partially out of urban fantasy tropes--but only
partially....   There 's way too much plot of plots which have little
thematic relationship/relevance to one another without major stretches/acts
of conscious attempts to work at finding relevances and points of similarity
in the various plots, to make the mess/malimplemented mashup have any sort o
internal cohesion....

--Paula Lieberman