[LMB] reasons to conquer Barrayar, was: BiA: Galen's grand plan

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri May 1 20:40:37 BST 2015

On 5/1/2015 12:51 PM, Tony Zbaraschuk wrote:
> I'm thinking that a lot of it was smuggled in by Komarrans out to make
> a profit.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if part of Komarr's deal
> with the Cetagandans was "no warships past our wormholes, we'll keep
> anyone else from sending warships down the Barrayar chain", so the
> Cetas don't actually_control_  the wormholes down the chain, and
> the Komarrans are free to export/import anything those primitive
> savages want to buy.
>
> I wonder how many crates of "tractor parts" had a surprisingly
> large number of infrared detectors and rocket engines in them...
>
> And if some of the Komarran arms smugglers got, or didn't get,
> favorable treatment during the Barrayaran invasion of Komarr.
> There's so_much_  room for Fanficsergeant, here.

Just how devious should we rate the Komorrans? Now I'm thinking that
they planned to collect Cetagandan money with one hand while
destabilizing their occupation and selling weapons to the Barrayaran
Resistance with the other hand, tying the Cetagandans up in knots,
distracting them from Komarr while raking in profits from all sides.