[LMB] CoC: Chapter 12 -- Things fall apart -- free will and godly actions

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:51:49 BST 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>
wrote:

>  And the Son's reply to Ingrey (something like "you
> really want us to start judging people?") indicating a strong
> universalist streak.  I think "the gods take all souls that don't turn
> from them" is a fair reading of what was published.

You're not remembering the text clearly.  The Son points out that 'justice'
is associated with the Father rather than the Son, and then asks Ingrey if
he really wants justice to be dispensed rather than mercy.  Echoing
Cazaril's prayer back in CoC.

The texts make clear that the Bastard so often accepts souls that the other
Gods decline that some believe he's obligated to.  But many deaths don't
get complex funerals with indicating rites - including many of the most
despairing ones.  We're also shown that spirits can be forcibly sundered
from the Gods even if both parties want the souls to be taken up.

It's notable that there doesn't actually seem to be a place of
'punishment'.  Nor is there any reincarnation in the hopes that a soul
might be more suitable the second time around.

Matt G.