[LMB] What works

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sat May 16 17:52:40 BST 2015

> > > On May 15, 2015, at 6:16 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  democracy simply doesn't work.

That's a pretty silly thing to say in general.

If you mean running a mailing list by ad hoc democracy like this list
doesn't work... well, the list has remained vibrant and mostly civil for
something like 20 years, despite marked political and literary opinion
differences, when other author centric mailing lists I've on have died
off.  That's pretty good.

I can conceive of it failing, like if one or more people barge in with
no respect for the list's culture, but that's not democracy not working
so much as lack of enforcement not working.  At some point a list or
forum needs to be able to silence or exile toxic people; whether the
moderator is autocratic or democratic is another matter.

-xx- Damien X-)