[LMB] Economics - bathhouses and laundries

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Thu May 21 04:03:41 BST 2015

The end of communal bathhouses in the west was due to as the Roman Empire
contracted, and the bathhouses got worse and worse reputations as being
essentially brothels and the Church ranted against them, shut them down, and
regards baths as immoral...

Hot water can be "free" if there is a hot spring around--spas were places
were there were natural springs, originally.

Laundry, people originally did by rivers...

--Paula Lieberman