[LMB] Cloning - the non-evil way

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu May 21 13:52:37 BST 2015

On Wed, 20 May 2015 21:57:04 -0700, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

>On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 01:29:57AM +0000, M. Haller Yamada wrote:
>> I think this was discussed in one of the books -- they do have the tech to make
>> bodies, but the customers aren't interested in flabby, vat-grown bodies. They
>> want the clones to exercise and train the bodies, and then kill them off. They
>> don't look upon the clones' minds as real minds, I guess. Somewhat similar to the
>
>Yes.  I'm saying I find it implausible that *all* the customers are like
>that; there should be some, possibly a majority, who'd take the flabby
>bodies in exchange for not murdering and getting decades more life, even
>after therapy.

Why would they *necessarily* be "flabby"?  We can (not that we always
do, because expense, but we can) maintain muscle-tone to some extent
with people who can't move *now*.  If we understand neurology well
enough to do brain transplants, and physiology well enough to grow
essentially brainless clones - surely we'd have the tech to make them
muscular, too?

There's already an experimental drug that stops (or slows) the process
of losing muscle-tone if you don't exercise (expect *that* as a rich
person's black-market drug before long), so we're some way down the path
of understanding these processes.
--

Marc

If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read
the newspaper you are misinformed. - Mark Twain