[LMB] OT: Arne Zettersten (1934-2015)

John Lennard john.c.lennard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:20:47 GMT 2015

Arne Zettersten, who died in September, was formerly a Professor of English
Language and Literature at the University of Copenhagen. I didn't know him
personally, but I do know some of his work, including an odd but very
interesting book on Tolkien that he wrote in retirement, and as I do know
the current Prof. in Copenhagen, Charles Lock, to whom fell the writing of
an obituary for the university website, I was tapped for some remarks about
Zettersten and Tolkien.

What is striking about their connection is that Zettersten was probably the
last person to know Tolkien primarily as a linguist, before his fantasy
became world-famous, as well as one of the *very* few people who were able
to talk to Tolkien with both a genuine knowledge of early Germanic
languages and a personal reader's enthusiasm for *The Lord of the Rings* and
the larger legendarium.

Those interested can read Charles Lock's obituary in English or (for the
adventurous) Danish, at the links below.

(I don't believe I've ever been translated into Danish before ...)

http://universitypost.dk/article/obituary-arne-zettersten-1934-2015

http://universitetsavisen.dk/campus/arne-zettersten-1934-2015

www.humanities-ebooks.co.uk

*The Exasperating Case of David Weber, or The Slow Death of The Honorverse*
22 years ago Weber created it and in the last ten he has broken it ...

*Tolkien's Triumph: The Strange History of *The Lord of the Rings
Just how did a 1000-page book with 6 appendices come to sell 8,500 copies
per day?

*Talking Sense About *Fifty Shades of Grey*, or Fanfiction, Feminism, and
BDSM*
The story the media *isn't* telling ...

Available from Amazon's Kindle Stores and in paper from Skoobebooks.