[LMB] Betan control of pregnancy

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 21:19:17 GMT 2015

One of the functions of fallopian tubes is to act as an obstacle course for
sperm, ensuring that only the healthiest (and least likely to have been
damaged or mutated) make it to the egg.  It's been suggested that IVF
babies have more problems because they might be made with sperm that aren't
top-quality.

On that note, I did wonder just why Black Widow was so angsting about being
sterilized in the recent Avengers movie.  If they merely tied her tubes, it
would be relatively simple to harvest eggs.  So was she actually spayed or
something?  I didn't think that could be done without having serious
implications for physical development, and so I was very confused.  Dr.
Banner's sterility makes perfect sense - not only would sex trigger his
transformation, he gained his powers after a massive exposure to gamma
radiation, so even though he's now healthy I bet his wrigglers aren't in
the best shape.

Matt G.