[LMB] Betan control of pregnancy

Elizabeth Stowe estowe427 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 12:29:45 GMT 2015

Damien: Cordelia pushed her into going to Beta.  As for being creeped out,
Kareen seems to regret nothing about her experience, and she's an adult.
Why are you creeped out for her?  Do you want to lecture her about what
she did with her body?

es: If Kareen were a living woman I met casually, I certainly wouldn't say anything. Fortunately, she's a character and I'm a reader.

Anyone who turns herself (Kareen between Memory and A Civil Campaign) or is turned by others (Tej in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance) to an institution for an officially impelled first sexual experience creeps me out. Neither girl showed a need for therapy.

To me it's similar to Tony and Claire first being matched by Dr. Yei (Falling Free), then told they would have subsequent babies with other partners. Institutions work towards their goals, using individuals as they go.

While LMB is responding to what I think is a real dliemma -- the 15-year-old +/- girl overwhelmed by hormones and conditioning into having a lousy experience of sex the first time -- I prefer Fawn's (Beguilement) and Iselle's (Curse of Chalion) handling if it. Fawn suffers initially while Iselle finds love. Fawn's unsatisfied curiosity keeps her going until she finds much greater fulfillment on her own than she would ever get from Betan therapy (okay, it's hard to imagine Betan therapy in the Wide Green World). In fact, the tradition among the Lakers that a woman invites a man to bed is a particularly satisfying end of Fawn's quest.