[LMB] Also Gregor: childhood friendships

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Nov 9 22:31:18 GMT 2015

On Nov 9, 2015, at 1:42 PM, Lois McMaster Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:
> Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, especially

I've heard this called the black swan theory: just because --you-- haven't seen one, doesn't mean they don't exiat.

A corollary for me is that when science can't prove the existence of something people say exist, it is possible that, in the study claiming no proof, the wrong questions were asked, the equipment used is not capable of answering the question in how it was asked or implied, or the equipment able to answer such a question hasn't been built (for any variety of reasons, bad or not), and other such technical issues.

Germs.

Spiritual ecstasy (thinking of Catholic saints such as St. Therese of France)

Religious visions (Lourdes)

Menstrual cramps (before women were examined for them --while-- they were having them)

Mechanism of barometric pressure migraines (shoddy test structure)

Experience of claimed personal contact with a deity or other (pereceived non-corporeal) entity. Finding an area of the brain, that when stimulated, seems to produce such an experience. I want to know what happens when you do that to a dyed in the wool atheist: what's their experience? My opinion is that the latter is a chicken/egg question, that the opening issue can't be measured using what we have now.

I leave more examples as an exercise for the reader.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com