[LMB] Betan control of pregnancy

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 00:55:25 GMT 2015

On 11/9/2015 2:24 PM, Sylvia McIvers wrote:
> Many women don't want to raise someone else's child - hence the wicked
> step-mother trope. Sadly, 'the boyfriend beat up/killed the kid' is a
> truism, but did not become a literary trope. How did that happen?
Good question, because it would make sense - though there are enough
stories about being forced to marry someone you don't love, or who are
yucky in some manner. Perhaps instead of the Evil Stepfather killing
kid, it is the kid being forced away in some manner [being forced to
marry in the case of girls and forced to go on an adventure/join the
army/monastary for boys]

Though from what I understand, more women died leaving children than men
- burnt in a cooking accident and childbirth both were top killers of
women followed by illness and other random injury. Though if a woman
survived the years of childbirth, they did tend to live fairly long
lives. The raised hearth and enclosed iron stove both saved many lives
from death by fire [didn't help my grandmother, she and my aunt died as
a result of the kerosene spill catching the house on fire from filling a
lamp. Oh well.] Washing hands and changing clothes by medical staff
helped end pupural fever/childbed fever which was the leading cause of
death in childbirth other than medical complications like ecclampsia,
toxemia, breeches birth and so forth.

---