[LMB] OT: women's work

Helen Fenton hifenton at internode.on.net
Wed Nov 11 21:05:46 GMT 2015

>>> That seems odd - why is that?
>>
>> Smaller fingers, finer motor control[1].  Most soldering now is very
>> tight work, with surface-mount components.  Increasingly, it's being
>> automated away, and most of what's left is done in China, probably in
>> dreadful conditions.  And of course, women are cheaper, especially in
>> countries where they don't even pretend to think they're as important.
>>
>> [1] My daughter solders much better than I do, for instance; she
>> generally finished up her projects first in her class, and ended up
>> helping the boys!
>
> China uses women for most factory type work.   On the other hand, India uses men for most factory type work (wasting half the workforce).   But China produces more electronics than India does.
> --
When I was at University in the mid 70's I had a few male friends who were studying electrical engineering and they discovered that I could solder much neater than them. The word went around their friends and I ended up being the queen of the nerds. I could solder, clip their computer program cards and correct the spelling and grammar of their written assignments. We are still friends to this day.

Helen