[LMB] flimsys? added stout and gun

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 20:59:09 GMT 2015

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 20:13:57 -0800, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

>> there is  mention in, er, I thinkits Barrayar, of Cordelia sitting in
>> the library at Vorkosigan House,  struggling thru an old book in which
>> English is written phonetically in Cyrillic.
>>
>> As best I can recall it explicitly says English.
>
>But the English of 2900 is unlikely to be the English of 2000.  Chaucer,
>circa 1380, also wrote in "English".  A bit hard to read straight for a
>modern, though.  Never mind Beowulf, also in (Old) "English", which may
>as well be a different language.

Apart from some insertions for flavour, Tolkien didn't write LotR in
Elvish.

It's a well-trodden road, writing future, past or imaginary words in
modern dialogue with a few trigger words.

If Lois could somehow grab some 2900's "English" through a wormhole,
we'd probably not understand it that well, if at all.  Though perhaps
there's an argument that having everything written down might stabilise
the language somewhat.

I suppose the rate of linguistic drift in the internet age is being
studied, somewhere.